If you’re looking for something different to do on your trip to Sydney, drive your Hertz Sydney Airport rental car over to Manly and pay a visit to the Q Station.
Q Station, located at North Head just five minutes from Manly, is Sydney’s former quarantine station. It’s a site of great historical significance surrounded by Australia’s natural beauty.
There are plenty of things to do at Q Station: relax, swim, bush walk, kayak, snorkel. There’s also the iconic Boilerhouse restaurant where you can treat yourself to a meal with a million dollar view.
If it’s history you are after, take one of Q Station’s famous tours and travel back in time with the extensive collection of memorabilia, photographs and displays in the museum. The Quarantine Station has long been regarded as one of the most haunted sites in Australia. If you’re game, take one of Q Station’s bone-chilling ghost tours.
There are plenty of tours to choose from, for people of all ages and levels of brave.
- Adult Ghost Tour : The adults-only ghost tour takes you on a journey through the most haunted buildings including the morgue, the hospital and shower block. Your storyteller guide will tell you stories of the strange things that have happened past visitors.
- Family Ghosty Tour : If you’re travelling with kids, the Family Ghosty tour will provide chills to the whole family. The storyteller guide will tell you stories of strange things that have happened, but not as frightening as those told on the adult tour.
- Spirit Investigator : this fun tour teaches you how to detect ghosts and how to use a variety of equipment to communicate with the spirits.
- Ghost Trackers : if you don’t want to wait for the spirits to come to you, learn how to track down ghosts on your own with real ghost hunting equipment.
- Extreme Ghost Tour : spookier than even the Adult Ghost tour, the Extreme Ghost shares the secrets of the most horrible and bizarre occurrences at Manly Quarantine station.
- Ghostly Sleepover : if none of the above is enough scariness for you, why not make it an entire night? The Ghostly Sleepover includes a late night tour of the most haunted buildings, testing ghost hunting equipment and then a sleepover in the former doctor’s and nurse’s rooms which are known to be haunted.
If you want a tour that is scare-free, Q Station offers a great range of tours designed to get your discovering nature as well as the fascinating history of the Quarantine Station.
- Wharf Wander : this 45-minute tour is great for people who don’t have much time but still want to discover the history of Manly Q Station.
- Quarantine Station Story Day Tour : enjoy the beautiful natural surroundings of the Q Station as well as the historical buildings all while hearing the stories of the quarantined passengers and the staff who lived and worked on the site.
- Nature Walk : take a guided walk through the National Park and enjoy the views from North Head
Q Station offers accommodation, so if you’re keen enjoy the area for as long as possible, book a room and stay. You’ll be waking up to the beautiful and tranquil Sydney Harbour National Park.
Q Station is located at North Head, just a five minute drive from Manly in the hire car you picked up from Hertz at Sydney Airport or a thirty minute drive from the Sydney CBD.