With the warming weather, it’s a great time to visit Brisbane. For a fun day out in the sun, visit the South Bank Parklands. The Parklands at South Bank is a beautiful haven in the middle of the city. There are many pleasant surprises and so much to do all in one spot. Enjoy the beautiful gardens, explore the cobbled laneways, wine and dine or take a picnic.
Relax at Unfold, the new, moveable deckchairs scattered around the Little Stanley Street lawns. These colourful chairs are free to use and offer you a place to relax, hang out with your friends, drink a coffee or even read a book.
There are plenty of places to see and explore in the South Bank parklands, including:
- Aquativity – an interactive water-play park. It’s open from 9am until 7pm and provides a fun place for kids to learn about water.
- Liana Lounge - an open green space filled with public art installations which double as seating.
- Nepalese Pagoda - a majestic monument of great cultural and spiritual significance.
- The Arbour – a stunning and impressive 1km walkway beneath a canopy of twisted steel and bright magenta bougainvillea plants
- The Wheel of Brisbane – just like the London Eye, the Wheel of Brisbane will take you high up into the sky to see Brisbane from a gondola with a 360-degree panoramic view of the city.
One of the last things you’d expect to see in the heart of the city is a beach. Nevertheless, South Bank is home to Streets Beach, a unique man-made beach and popular swimming destination. Streets Beach, a serene oasis, overlooks the Brisbane River and city skyline and is surrounded by palm trees and other exotic plants. It’s manned by qualified lifeguards to ensure the safety of all visitors.
There are plenty of food options including a number of cafes and takeaway joints so you definitely won’t go hungry on your visit to the South Bank Parklands. Options include Asian, fish and chips, Greek, Turkish, Italian, Mexican and many more. Satisfy your sweet tooth at Max Brenner or the Great Aussie Sweet Company. There are also barbecue facilities located at Picnic Island Green, Riverside Green and Aquativity, where you can BYO and DIY your own barbecued lunch.
Getting the Parklands at South Bank is easy and there are plenty of options. You can walk, take public transport or drive over in the hire car you picked up from the Hertz Brisbane airport car hire location. There is an undercover car park so you can park your rental car stress-free and enjoy your time at South Bank Parklands.