If you are a movie lover or budding film maker heading to Gold Coast in April you’ll be pleased to know that from April 18th to April 28th 2013, the Gold Coast is hosting their annual film festival. What perfect timing. The Gold Coast Film Festival is hosted by the Pacific Fair Shopping Centre and celebrates Australian feature film production. Most of the films shown throughout the festival are Australian including independent films shot on the Gold Coast. You’ll have the opportunity to view some Aussie talent in action and get a broader understanding of Australian culture. Some international films will also be shown during the Gold Coast film Festival including the winners of the Asia Pacific Screen Award.
This year’s Gold Coast Film Festival takes part in Queensland’s Pop Culture Week and not only shows some great movies, but also features a range of fun events including red carpet premieres as well as seminars and master classes, free outdoor movies, Q&A sessions and after parties.
- The Australian premier screening of Sushi Girl starring Tony Todd (Candyman), Noah Hathaway (The Neverending Story) and James Duvall (Donnie Darko). Prior to the screening the writer/director Kern Saxton and writer/producer Destin Pfaff as well as the mentioned cast members will be holding a Q&A session to discuss the film and answer any of your questions. This event takes place on Friday 19 April 2013.
- Also on Friday 19 April is a screening of My Other Me, a documentary about three different costume role players, a.k.a ‘cosplayers’.
- Heroes and Villains Sculpture Display – life-size sculptures of some of your favourite characters including the Avengers, The Joker, Superman, Batman and Catwoman will be on display at the Pacific Fair Shopping Centre. Viewing is free and runs for the duration of the film festival.
- A two-day screenwriting masterclass with Hollywood horror screenwriter Todd Farmer on Monday 22 and Tuesday 23 April. This once in a lifetime opportunity has limited places only so get in quick to secure your spot.
- Free kids screenings at Robina Community Centre on April 20 and 21. This includes great family films like Pirates!, The Smurfs and The Neverending Story. The Robina Community Centre is easy to access in your Hertz hire car.
- Free seminars. The seminars cover a range of topics including remakes, making films on a budget and movie hair and makeup. For the full list click here.
- Supanova Dreamworld After Dark – experience Dreamworld’s thrill rides after dark along with celebrity appearances and a special screen event at the Dreamworld cinema
The festival is held over eleven days with most events taking place at Birch Carroll and Coyle Cinemas at the Pacific Fair Shopping Centre in Broadbeach Queensland. It’s an easy drive from the Gold Coast Airport or your Gold Coast accommodation in your Hertz rental car. To find out the festival’s main program, to buy tickets and to get further information have a look at their website here.