If the vehicle is used for a Prohibited Use, we may terminate the Agreement and take the vehicle back at any time at your expense. If the Prohibited Use has caused, or contributed to, loss or damage to the vehicle, you are liable to us for that loss or damage up to the full value of the car and related losses and fees. Refer to the Damage and Loss section of the Terms and Conditions.
Prohibited Uses in the Terms and Conditions provides detailed information on the driving restrictions, in addition to the below:
- Cars may not be placed on any trains.
- Please check with rental location for all local driving restrictions.
*See exceptions below
The following roads are prohibited from use:
- The unsealed roads connecting Smithton and Zheehan:
- On the West Coast, any further south than the Arthur River township; and
- Inland any further south than where the Kanunnah Bridge crosses the Arthur River
- The back roads between Oxford and Copping on the Southeast coast.
- The Ben Lomond Road above the bottom of Jacob's Ladder.
- Is deemed a full responsibility destination. Fraser Island is only accessible by 4wd.
Magnetic Island (Off coast of Townsville)
- Vehicle's are not permitted to travel to Magnetic Island.
Northern Qld – Cars
- Vehicles can travel around the Atherton Tableland area. Vehicles can cross the Daintree River and travel as far as Cape Tribulation, however cars must stay on the sealed section of these roads.
- Vehicles cannot travel to - Chillago
Northern Qld – 4WD's
- 4wd's can travel on unsealed surface roads
- Group Standard Size AWD or 2WD Wagon(Economy) -
- Can be driven as far North as Cooktown.
- Can be driven as far West as Normanton
- Can be driven anywhere South
Full Size 4WD (Toyota Prado or similar)
- Travel is restricted to gazetted roads and tracks Australia wide.
- Due to extremely bad road conditions in the Mount Isa region, standard cars are not allowed to travel on unsealed roads.
- Standard cars can access 2 mine sites in Mt Isa – Cannington and Earnest Henry. All other mining sites must be accessed by 4wd only.
- 4wd vehicles are also available for tourist sites which are off sealed roads.
- Certain areas in the Northern Territory are accessible only by 4wd vehicles ie. Palm valley.
- Hertz Northern Territory do not allow 4wd vehicles to be taken into -
- Jim Jim or Twin falls under any circumstances.
- Kings canyon - accessible by car (2wd) using the Lasseter, Luritja highways. All other access to Kings Canyon requires 4wd.
- The Meerenie Loop road & the Ernest Giless Hwy are 4wd only.
- This road can only be driven in either a Group O, R or W.
- Litchfield park - there is bitumen access via Batchelor to Litchfield park as far as the main site of Wangi Falls. Customers can visit Litchfield park using the Batchelor Access in & out. They cannot travel on dirt roads in the Park, however, majority of main sites are now bitumen.
- Driving restrictions for Kununurra and Broome
- Groups - Compact manual, Intermediate Auto, Fullsize Auto, Standard Size AWD or 2WD Wagon are available for travel within city limits and to travel on the Great Northern Highway
- Full Size 4WD (Toyota Prado or similar) - Four Wheel Drive Access Only
- The Gibb River Road
- The Tunnel Creek Road
- The Windjana Gorge Road
- The Bungle Bungles
- Cape Leveque Road*
- Kalaumburu and the Mitchell Plateau
*Cape Leveque/Dampier Peninsular is suitable for larger 4 x 4 ‘s only due to the thick sand, corrugated roads and water/mud hazards that can be encountered in the area. There are many tracks in the area, Hertz cars are only allowed on gazetted roads. Weather changes may make roads impassable at times.
- Vehicles may be taken on the ferry to Kangaroo Island
- Vehicles rented from Kangaroo Island cannot be driven off the Island.
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) is included on all rentals. Subject to an Accident Damages Excess (ADE).
- No vehicles are to be driven onto beaches, bush tracks or paddocks/fields.
*For full Terms and Conditions, please click here.
. © 2018 The Hertz Corporation. All rights reserved.